Every summer the watermelon appears among the most eaten pieces of fruit. We too really enjoy a nice piece of watermelon. But did you know that you can eat watermelons in many more ways than just wedges or pieces in a salad? Our summer tip: throw it on the barbecue!
You are one in a melon
A fun way to eat watermelon is to make it into skewers and grill it on the barbecue. Not only will it change the fruit’s texture, it will also bring out the natural sweetness even more. This easy recipe only takes 10 minutes to prepare.
What do you need?
Wooden or metal skewer sticks
How to make the watermelon skewers
1. Cut a watermelon, empty it and cut in square blocks
2. Thread the squares on a stick
3. Mix lime juice, honey, zest and olive oil in a bowl
4. Brush the mixture over the watermelon squares and put on the grill
5. Grill until the grill marks are visible
6. Once they are ready, take them off the grill
7. Sprinkle with salt and mint
Serving tip: You can eat the grilled watermelon skewer as they are, or add haloumi cheese.You can also add the squares to a delicious salad with feta cheese, red onion and cucumber.
Smoked watermelon “ham”
This recipe will blow your mind. You start from a basic watermelon and end up with something that looks like ducks meat and tastes like ham. It’s crazy and so delicious. You will need two days to prepare this, but it is so worth it!
What do you need?
Large seedless watermelon
Oregano & Coriander
Fresh milled pepper
How to make the watermelon ham
#1 Make the brine
1. Pour 1 litre of water into a saucepan
2. Mix with the salt, oregano and coriander and bring to the boil
3. Turn off the fire and let it cool down a bit
#2 Skin the watermelon
1. Place the watermelon on a chopping board
2. Cut off the convex ends
3. Use the knife to cut along the skin to remove it
#3 Start the brining process
1. Mix the brine with 2 litres of cold water and put the watermelon in it
2. Leave to brine for 24 hours
#4 Time to smoke the watermelon
1. Start lighting the BBQ
2. Place charcoal and briquettes in a c shape along the barbecue wall
3. Once it’s smoldering all over, add large blocks of smoke-wood
4. Place a container of water in the barbecue to keep it at a constant low temperature
5. Place a grid on top of the coals and the container with water
6. Remove the watermelon from the brine and pat dry well.
7. Rub the watermelon with all the herbs
8. Place the watermelon on the barbecue grill in a baking dish
9. Then let it smoke for 8 hours
#5 Final step
1. Remove the baking dish from the barbecue and let it cool down a little
2. Meanwhile, heat the frying pan with a dash of (olive) oil.
3. Put 3-4 sprigs of rosemary and 3-4 crushed garlic cloves in it.
4. Grain with a sharp knife horizontal and vertical stripes over the top
5. Carefully scoop the watermelon out of the baking dish into the hot frying pan, with the notched side still up.
6. Pour the collected juices from the baking dish over it as well
7. Keep heating the frying pan on medium heat, while continuing to spoon the oil and juices from the pan over the watermelon with a spoon
8. After 5 minutes of baking it is finally ready
We are very excited to see if you take on one of these watermelon recipe challenges. And if you do, please let us know by tagging us in your pictures on Instagram or Facebook. Happy Cooking!